The reason you opened your Etsy shop in the first place was to sell right? What do you do when your sales are not as expected? Take a look at your shop, items and marketing techniques and figure out what’s working, and more importantly, what’s not.
Here are some reasons why it’s not working:-
- Your product description is not doing justice to your items. After adding a good photo, it is very important to write an informative description about the product so that the potential buyer knows what he is receiving.
- You are trying to do too much in just one shop. Try and divide all your products. For example, have a separate shop for crafts, separate for clothing etc. It will be better if you have separate shops for different product types. Not only will it help you analyze how well each individual craft is selling, but people are more likely to buy from you if you have a specialty shop.
- Your pictures play an important part. You don’t have to be a professional photographer in order to get good pictures. A decent camera, natural light, and a clean background are all you need. You are going to lose tons of buyers if your pictures aren’t up to the mark. Pictures are an important aspect of selling online. The only connection you have with your audience is through your Pictures. Good pictures will increase your sales guaranteed.
- People don’t know you in person. You need to make yourself known. Get your product and voice it out. Be seen and be heard. Start a social media account and promote your business. But there is more to business promotion than shoving your products in your follower’s post. Tweet relevant articles pertaining to your craft, ask questions and respond to your followers’ posts. Before promoting, it is important to be known and trusted.
- Don’t over promote your stuff. It may annoy people. You are over promoting when you are bombarding your Facebook page and Twitter feed with self-promotional posts. It doesn’t mean that you don’t post anything about yourself at all it just means that put some thought into it beforehand. For example instead of simply posting a picture of a scarf and writing “SALE TODAY ONLY” try something like “Stumped on what to buy this mothers day? What about this scarf”. This will give your viewers something to think about and will increase your click-rate much more than by just writing ‘SALE’.
- Don’t try to be someone else. You are perfect the way you are. Even if it takes a long time you will soon find it. I know it is tempting to see someone successful and copy exactly what they are doing. If they can do it then you can do it for sure. Come up with your own unique ideas. Your unique thoughts will make you more successful rather than just copying someone else’s idea and doing the same thing.
- Your products are not that appealing to the customers. It may hurt but it is the true fact. True things usually hurt. If everything is going fine from a marketing standpoint then you must stop and look what’s going on. Maybe the quality is not good or maybe the products are not that appealing to the customers. This doesn’t mean that you give up. Just take your time and find out what’s going wrong. Maybe you have gotten too busy and don’t have time to create quality products. It might be hard initially but if you are serious about it, it’ll be worth it.
- You are your own enemy. Maybe you are not selling 15 items per day but you are consistent. That’s totally okay. If you are making sales and your customers are happy then you are doing great. It happens in cycles. People buy more around the festive season, there would be a huge jump in December and there may be a decline in the number of sales in January. Don’t freak out because it will balance the sales. Just stay consistent in all what you do and the numbers will increase steadily.
So these were the 8 invaluable tips which I wanted to write about and I hope they help you evaluate where you’re going wrong and what youre doing right for your Etsy shop. It will help increase your business.